Friday, December 13, 2019

Podcasting, Part I

New for Literacy Studies students this year is a unit related to podcasts. Collaborating with Cathy Hines from Heartland Area Education Association allowed for several lessons relating to understanding what podcasts are and how they are different than other "reading" and listening students might already do, podcasts themselves, and retelling.
Photo by israel palacio on Unsplash
First, students discussed what podcasts are and if they already listen to podcasts. Many indicated that they were "forced" to listen as they rode in cars with their parents, :) but some already subscribed or listened to podcasts of their choosing. We also talked about how podcasts aren't like the YouTubers or audiobooks.


To kick off our podcast listening, we focused on the award-winning and engaging podcast The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel


As students listened, they worked on a digital notebook where they kept track of story elements like character, plot, and setting, along with podcast elements like sound effects and music. Using a "turn and talk to your table-mates" activity, students discussed the podcast and added information to their digital notebooks. Engagement was high, and students were eager to continue listening; in fact, many asked if they could continue to listen to Mars Patel outside of class!

Students would continue to listen to Mars Patel and work on notebooks for another class before moving on to other activities--stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for these posts Sandi. I really appreciate your play by play nature of the lessons and your sharing of the resources that you used to engage your students. I have been thinking about using podcasts as a teaching and learning medium with students at my school but I have not felt ready to dive in yet. I think that my biggest hurdle is that I don’t really listen to podcasts myself - I love them conceptually, but I also love live radio, and music and audio books, and regular books… I have had a hard time making time to do research into quality podcasts for middle school students. I am very grateful to see that list that you have shared of age relevant podcasts for me to work from to help my students expand their pallets. I also really like your emoji retell template, so accessible, but such a great way to represent comprehension and recall. I am already thinking about ways that I can incorporate emojis into my “lit circles” and maybe even digital exit slips.
    I am curious if I might be able to look forward to a “Podcasting 3” post from you where your students work to create their own podcasts? This is another area that I have spent a lot of time thinking about, but have not yet moved to a planning stage on. My hurdles for this part of the process is 1) As described above have not yet prepared myself or students to properly “digest” as podcast 2) Each time I have looked into software/hardware/platforms for podcasting I have ended up a little overwhelmed at the options.
    Again thanks for the posts, appreciate the sharing, keep up the good work.

    Curtis Bendig
    Digital Learning Support Teacher
    Trafalgar Middle School
    Nelson BC
    @CurtisBendig

    ReplyDelete